Unfortunately, you have few options and alternatives available to you.  First off and very importantly, your former employer will be sending you a COBRA notice within 60 days of your last date of employment.  Keep this COBRA Notice it is very important. 

You are going to have to decide weather to keep your Employers Plan, or switch to an alternative.   In most cases you will have to keep your employers COBRA option regardless of cost.   In some cases you can ask your State Department of Insurance if your State has a risk sharing pool for high risk health insurance.  

In either case, If only one person in your family is the reason for your High Medical Usage then you may also consider splitting your families coverage up into two plans.  Keep the person with the high medical expenditures on the Employers COBRA plan and move the remaining family members to the COBRA alternative plan.   Call us at 1-877-279-7959 to help you with this solution.

So to summarize, you can either elect to keep your employers coverage (the cost will be outlined in the COBRA notice they send you), or buy a COBRA Alternative plan.  The COBRA alternative plan will be 40%-75% less costly than your former employers’ coverage. 

Make sure that the plan you select is qualified as “Creditable Coverage”.  Without it being qualified as “Creditable Coverage” you may have a lapse in coverage when you move to a permanent plan with your new employer.  You will recognize plans with Credible Coverage by this logo.Qualifies as "Credible Coverage" 

You can find many different programs with "Creditable Coverage" by following this link. Creditable Coverage Qualified Plans.

COBRA Quotes